New Master of Arts in Langauges and Cultures

Graduate Studies

West Chester University

Frequently Asked Questions


 For Current Students

What is Degree Candidacy and how do I apply for it?

Every Master’s degree candidate needs to file an application for Degree Candidacy after completing 12-15 graduate credits.  Degree Candidacy is a half point check to make sure the student is on the right track toward completing their degree.  The Graduate Coordinator reviews their degree progress and the Graduate Studies Office checks to make sure admission provisions (if any) and other requirements have been met.   Several departments require proof of Degree Candidacy before being able to register for comprehensive exams or thesis credits.  To apply for Degree Candidacy the student should go to the Graduate Studies webpage.  Under “Graduate Studies Forms” go to “Application for Degree Candidacy”.  The student will be informed by e-mail when their application for Degree Candidacy has been awarded.


Where can I find information about the Refund Policy/Procedure for dropped or cancelled classes?

Information about the Refund Policy can be found on the Registrar’s website.  Go to the Registrar’s homepage and select Calendar/Exam Schedule and then select Refund Dates and Percentages.


Where do I look to see if a class is still open?

To see if a class that you want to take still has seats open, go to the WCU homepage, select the current students tab at the top of the page, then select Office of the Registrar.  You then need to select course/class information.


What is the G.P.A. requirement to be considered in good academic standing by the University?

Students must maintain a 3.00 cumulative average to remain in good standing.


For Prospective Students

Can I start as a non degree student before applying to a specific program?

 Yes, you may begin your graduate study as a non degree student but with certain limitations.  As a non degree student, you may complete no more than 9 credits prior to applying to a master’s degree program.  Some academic programs limit the availability of their courses to non degree students. Prospective non degree students should check with the program coordinator of their intended program to determine the availability and selection of courses.  Non degree registration can be found at, look under Graduate Student Announcements

 What is the procedure for transferring in Graduate credits from another college/University?

Graduate students who want to transfer in Graduate credit from another college or university will need to supply the Graduate Studies Office with an official transcript from that school, along with a completed “Transfer of Graduate Credit” form (found under “Graduate Studies Forms” on the Graduate Studies website.  Only credits taken within the last six years, from an accredited graduate school, will be approved.  The student must have earned a grade of “B” or better in the course to be eligible for transfer.  The maximum number of credits that can be transferred in to your Graduate program at West Chester, can not exceed 20% of your total number of credits (usually 6-9 credits) required for your program.

For International Students

What are the admissions requirements for international students?  

The requirements are:

1. A completed International Application found at look for Apply Now

2. One official transcript evaluation by either World Education Services ( or Education Credential Evaluators Inncorporated (

3. TOEFL or ILETS scores must be sent from the testing agency directly to the Office of Graduate Studies

4. Proof of financial support form must be completed and returned to the Office of Graduate Studies

5. A medical History form and an immunization record must be completed and forwarded to the University's Student Health Center

8. If admitted, the University will supply a U.S. Immigration (I-20) Form

International Website