View Text Only Version

Master of Social Work


Contact Us  

Master of Social Work

West Chester Campus

Reynolds Hall
650 Reynolds Alley
West Chester, PA 19383

Phone: 610-436-2664

PASSHE Center City

701 Market Street, Concourse Level
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Phone: 267-386-3015

The West Chester University MSW Program is a leader in social work, offering the highest quality education for the best value in the greater Philadelphia area. With small class sizes, students receive individual attention from experienced faculty members whose passions for social justice, human rights, and issues of diversity are nationally recognized.

Students receiving their MSWs from West Chester are trained in direct practice with individuals and families, with a keen understanding of the impact of trauma and social determinants of health. The MSW Program is designed to provide students with a highly versatile set of advanced skills to pursue a wide range of career opportunities to meet the 21st century's growing demands for social work services. The MSW curriculum immerses students in the study and application of evidence-based practices grounded in the concepts of Recovery, Resiliency and Capacity Building.

What are others saying about the WCU Master of Social Work program?

"I am thrilled that the MSW Program at West Chester University is embracing recovery and resilience as basic tenets throughout the program. This effort positions the department on the leading edge of the field and will greatly enhance the skills of graduates in the emerging healthcare environment."

-Arthur C. Evans, Jr., PhD., Commissioner, City of Philadelphia Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual Disability Services (DBHIDS)

How long will it take to receive an admissions decision?

Students typically receive admissions decisions within eight weeks of submitting a completed application. This includes receipt of all transcripts and recommendations.

Will my application be considered if I am a career changer without any social work experience?

Absolutely. Career changers often find that social work is exactly what they have been looking for in a professional experience.

As a career changer you have three admissions options:

  1. Apply to the program and clearly articulate in your personal statement why a switch to social work is right for you at this point in your career, noting how your personal and work experience informs this decision.
  2. Enroll in one or two of our electives as a non-matriculated student and get a sense of social work before applying. Should you apply and be accepted into the program, these credits would count toward your degree.
  3. You can wait to apply while you gain volunteer or work experience in social/human services.

Because we review each application on an individual basis, we cannot tell you which of these options would be best. If you have questions, feel free to contact MSW Recruiter Kyle Murray.

Will I be able to work if I attend school full-time?

Many of our students work in addition to attending graduate school. We recommend that full-time students, along with part-time students in their second and third years, limit work to 20 hours per week to allow sufficient time for field work and course assignments.

Will I be prepared to take the social work licensing exam after graduation?

Yes. Students graduating from the MSW Program feel that the coursework prepared them well for the licensing exam. We also offer exam preparation seminars during the semester before graduation.

Qualifications to take the ASWB Master's Examination

  1. Go to the PA State Board of Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists and Professional Counselors website and print out the "APPLICATION FOR A LICENSE TO PRACTICE SOCIAL WORK."
  2. To be eligible for the ASWB Master's examination, the applicant must be in the final semester or hold a master's or doctoral degree in social work or social welfare from a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
  3. If you are in your final semester, have the CSWE-accredited school dean, registrar, or department chair complete the section: Verification of Social Work Education for Applicants Enrolled in Their Final Semester. The form must be sent directly from the educational institution to the board in an official sealed school envelope. **In order for a license to be issued after graduation, an official transcript showing a master's degree in social work or social welfare must be sent directly from the educational institution to the Board in an official sealed school envelope.**
  4. If you have graduated with a master's degree, request an official transcript showing your degree to be sent directly from the educational institution to the board.
  5. You will then receive notification from the Pennsylvania Board of Social Workers that your application to take the examination has been approved. Go to the website for the Association of Social Work Boards to register for the exam at a place and time that is convenient to them. There are hundreds of testing sites across the country. All states except California and all U.S. territories accept the ASWB Master's Level Exam as evidence of competence to be licensed at the first level of licensure. In Pennsylvania this is the LSW or Licesnsed social worker.
  6. Preparing for the exam:
    • The ASWB website has study tools to help prepare you for the exam.
    • The National Association of Social Workers offers one-day exam preperation courses. You can find days and locations for these courses at the National Association of Social Workers Pennsylvania Chapter website.
    • Other companies offer in-person and online exam preparation courses. The MSW program at WCU does not vouch for the quality of these programs.

Qualifications to then receive a license to practice Social Work at the LSW level in PA

  1. After passing the ASWB Master's Exam, have ASWB send your test score to the social work board of the state where you wish to be licensed.
  2. Once the state board has verified that you have graduated from a CSWE-accredited MSW program and passed the ASWB Master's level exam, you will be issued a license at the LSW level.
MSW Calendar

MSW Department News

View the Department News Archives

Stay Connected