WCU Athletics Advisory Board
Department of Athletics Vision Statement
The academic and athletic success of our student–athletes is our goal. West Chester University believes that a well conducted intercollegiate athletic program, based on sound educational principles and practices, is a necessary part of the educational mission of the University and that the safety and welfare of our student–athletes is of primary concern.
Athletic Advisory Board By-laws
Athletics Fact Sheets
Philosophy of Athletics
The following statement of philosophy shall serve as a guide for the planning and implementation of the athletic programs of West Chester University.
- The University believes in striving for competitive excellence, victory in competition, broad participation, sportsmanship and positive societal attitudes in all of its athletic endeavors.
- The University believes in offering intercollegiate athletic opportunities to as many students as fiscally possible. Opportunities should be available for students who are recruited, and for those not recruited; those who are on athletic financial aid, and those who are not.
- Insofar as geographical location and traditional scheduling patterns permit, the University believes in scheduling a majority of its athletic competitions with the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference and other Division II members of the NCAA.
- The University recognizes the dual objectives of its athletic program to serve both the University family (participants, students, alumni, faculty and staff) and the general public.
- The University believes in permitting athletically related financial aid under rigorous academic standards.
- The University believes in distributing its resources to its athletic programs according to a tiered schedule that is rationally developed and follows a written policy.
- The University believes that primary emphasis is given to in-season competition, but exceptional teams and individuals are encouraged to participate and supported in post–season championships.
- The University embraces the value that a diverse student body brings to its academic and developmental mission. Therefore it supports equal opportunity/affirmative action throughout its athletic programs and specifically invites and encourages women and minorities to participate. The University is committed to achieving gender equity.
Adopted as a recommendation to the University Administration by the Athletics Advisory Board at the 15 April, 2010 meeting.