Federal Work Study Program
The Federal Work Study Program provides part-time jobs for eligible undergraduate students and students with
The difference between the cost of attendance (COA) at a school and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). While COA varies from school to school, your EFC does not change based on the school you attend.
allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work
and work that will build and support skill sets in a professional atmosphere. West Chester University's Federal Work Study Student Employment Program is a "Need based"
federally funded program. Funds are limited and students and supervisors must abide by the federal regulations governing
Search Federal Work Study Departmental Job Descriptions.
- Complete the FAFSA by the
March 1st Priority deadline - used to determine financial eligibility "Need".
- Complete the West Chester University Federal Work Study Student Employment Application- used to determine job placement by the deadline on the form.
- Both applications are available early January and should be submitted as early as possible.
Federal Work Study Student Employment Forms and Documents
- Federal Work Study Student Employment 2016-2017 Application
- Federal Work Study Employment Handbook 2015-2016 Handbook and guidelines for Students and Supervisors.
Departments that engage Federal Work Study Students in work that involves confidential and information, documents and materials are required to collect a confidential statement from each of their students. This document should be forwarded to the financial aid office.
- Federal Work Study Department Job Descriptions - Job descriptions are required.
Federal Work Study Student Employment Contracts
Eligible students will receive a contract and should return the contract, to the financial aid office by the stated deadline, to secure the offered position. For additional information please review your department's job description
. Positions that are not secured by the deadline contained in the contract will be return to the pool for reassignment.
Request to Transfer Form
May be initiated by either the student or the supervisor. Must contain both parties' signatures. Transfers are not guaranteed and reassignment is based on the vacancies available at the time of request.
Direct Deposit Form
All students are encouraged to take advantage of this service for the prompt delivery of payment.
- Print form
- Fill out the form completely
- Write "void" on a personal check
- Take the form & your voided check to the Human Resources/Payroll Office.
Payroll Forms - I-9 and W-4 Forms
Completed in person and processed by the Payroll Office
BEFORE the student begins to work. The forms are provided by the Payroll Office. Students are required to present a copy of their social security card to confirm their social security number.
Notification – Award Letters
- You will receive notification from our office regarding your eligibility and placement.
- New students receive notification in early spring, once "packaging" begins.
- Currently enrolled students receive notification, after spring grades are posted, academic progress has been determined and packaging begins.
- You will also have access to your award information online at myWCU.
- Students who do not qualify due to the fact that they do not have financial need will be sent a separate notice.
- Students who are selected for verification MUST complete the verification process before they will be assigned to a position in order to confirm their federal financial need and eligiblity for the program.
- Each year we have more students apply than jobs available. Students who are not placed in a position initially will be notified that they have been placed on the waitlist. Students who are not placed within the fall term but would like to remain on the waitlist for the spring will be asked to re-apply at the end of the fall term and provide additional information.
- Contracts are mailed via traditional mail to eligible students, in early June.
- The contract contains important information regarding the student's assignment, the terms of employment, and paperwork required. For additional information please review your department's job description.
- Contact your supervisor to introduce yourself and familiarize yourself with the department's function.
- Return your contract by the stated deadline to secure the position.
- Complete all payroll documents in person at the Payroll Office as soon as possible.
Reporting to Work
- Students who have submitted all required documents are authorized to begin work for their term of employment.
- Report to work the first week of your scheduled assignment. Your supervisor will confirm your status.
- Students that do not report to work will be reported as a NO SHOW and the award will be cancelled.
- Students receive direct compensation, on a biweekly basis, for the hours worked. Students are encouraged to enroll in direct deposit with the payroll office. Funds received are intended for use to meet educational related expenses.
- FWS participants may only hold one job processed by the WCU Payroll Office. Since most additional offers are made through an application/selection process, the student is aware of the potential for this to occur. When this happens, the student will be removed from the Federal Work Study Program. Students are under no obligation to accept the Federal Work Study Student Employment offer.
- Payroll Schedule/Calendar
Non-Federal Work Study Student Employment Opportunities
In addition to the Federal Work Study Student Employment Program, opportunities for employment are also made possible by various departments and divisions.