Off Campus & Commuter Services
West Chester University
- Make sure you have a signed copy of the list of repairs your landlord agreed to make prior to move-in. Make sure the repairs are completed when you move in.
- Make arrangements for utilities. Utilities such as electricity and water are essential and should be turned on the day you move in or before.
- Take pictures and document the condition of the apartment when you move in.
- Complete a Fire Safety Checklist and bring any problems or concerns to the attention of your landlord. Replace batteries in all smoke detectors and test them.
- Keep a copy of your lease.
- When moving in check the dwelling carefully and have a statement setting out any damages, signed by all parties.
- Keep all rent receipts and never pay in cash without getting a written receipt.
- Obtain renter's or homeowner's insurance (check your parent’s policy, it may cover it)