Student Health Services
Super Bowl Party Snacking
Karen K. Fiorenza,
MPH, RD, LDN
Call 610-436-2509 or
A $10 visit fee is charged for all Student Health Services appointments.
Fall and Spring:
Super Bowl parties are not known for healthy snack food. This easy dip is a winner for both taste and nutrition. The base of the creamy dip is artichokes, which provide fiber, vitamin C, folate and magnesium. Low-fat cottage cheese replaces much of the mayonnaise used in traditional recipes. Serve with whole-grain crackers or cut up vegetables. Snack healthfully while cheering on your favorite team!!!
Warm Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups baby spinach, stems trimmed, washed and dried
- 1(14-oz)can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 4-cup baking dish with cooking spray. Alternatively, use several smaller baking dishes, such as onion-soup crocks, to hold 3 cups of total dip.
2) Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until softened and just starting to turn golden, 2 to 4 minutes. Add spinach(with just the water clinging to the leaves after washing) and garlic; cook, stirring until spinach has wilted, 1to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
3)Place artichokes, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and black pepper in a food processor; process until smooth. Add spinach mixture, and Parmesan; pulse just until blended. Scrape artichoke mixture into prepared baking dish (The dip will keep, covered in the refridgerator up to 2 days.)
4) Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 25 to 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining 1 tsp oil over top. Serve hot.
PER SERVING: Calories: 90. Total fat: 4.5 grams. Saturated fat: 1.5 grams. Cholesterol: 5 milligrams. Sodium: 370 milligrams. Carbohydrates: 7 grams. Fiber: 1 gram. Protein: 5 grams.
Like us on facebook!!!!
"Maintaing Nutrition While Paying Tuition" - Healthful Recipes at your fingertips!