Welcome to West Chester University and the Office of New Student Programs! Transfer
students are an important part of our undergraduate community. We want you to be
successful at WCU, so all transfer students are required to complete an orientation based on the number of
credits they have earned.*
Transfer Students with Fewer than 60 Credits: If you have earned fewer than 60 credits
before entering WCU, you must attend on-campus orientation.
Transfer Student with 60 Credits or More: If you have earned 60 credits or more before
entering WCU, you may attend on-campus orientation OR you may complete the online orientation program offered through D2L.
*Credit status is based on the number of credits you have earned at your previous
instituion(s) as of your last semester taking classes before entering WCU. Credit
status is based on earned credits regardless of whether they have transferred to WCU.
What to Expect at Transfer Orientation
At check-in you will receive a name tag and the day's schedule, and you will be placed
into a peer group that is typically related to your major. You will tour campus, receive
information about living on campus or commuting, and learn about the resources available
to help you be successful at WCU. Most importantly, you will network with other transfer
students and learn how to get involved here at WCU.
Example Summer Transfer Orientation Schedule
How to Schedule Classes
Academic scheduling is not part of the orientation day. You must call your academic department to arrange a
meeting with an advisor who will discuss your academic schedule and help you schedule
your classes. This meeting should be arranged as soon as possible as classes may fill
up quickly. You will not have time to meet with an academic advisor during your orientation
day. Please do not schedule an academic advising meeting for your orientation day
unless you are able to schedule the appointment after 2:30 p.m.
Transfer Orientation FAQs
- Is transfer orientation mandatory?
Yes, transfer orientation is mandatory for all full-time transfer students based on
their earned number of credits. Transfer students with fewer than 60 credits must
attend on-campus orientation. Transfer students with 60 credits or more must either
attend on-campus orientation OR complete the online orientation course available through
D2L. Part-time students taking fewer than 12 credits and adult learners (students
over age 24) do not have to attend orientation.
- Is there an orientation Fee?
Yes, the orientation fee is a one-time fee that appears on a student's first semester
- What does the orientation fee cover?
The fee covers all costs associated with orientation including staffing, materials,
meals, and student IDs.
- How do I register for an on-campus transfer orientation?
Register using the link in your MyWCU. See the Transfer Orientation Dates and Registration
drop-down box for more information.
- How will I know which orientation day I am attending?
Once you have completed the online form we will e-mail your WCU e-mail account confirming the date of your program. After you register, your date will also be displayed
- Can parents, family or guests attend orientation with me?
Yes, we have an orientation program for parents, families, and guests that is optional,
but their participation is strongly encouraged. The parent, family and guest program
is seperate from the student program, so you will not be together during the day.
There is no additional cost for this program, however lunch is not provided. Lunch
tickets will be available to purchase at morning check-in.
- How long will the orientation day be?
Orientation takes place from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.. You are required to stay the
entire day to complete your orientation requirement.
- What if I miss or cannot make the day I registered for?
If you miss orientation or cannot make your registered session, contact New Student
Programs to reschedule or make other arrangements to complete your orientation requirement.
- Does WCU offer overnight housing the day before my orientation, or are there hotel
accommodations in the area?
A list of area hotels can be found on our Lodging page.
- Where do I park for orientation?
Parking is available in M Lot located behind the Swope Music Building, and a limited
amount of parking is located behind the Sykes Student Union. PLEASE PARK IN AREAS
DESIGNATED STUDENT PARKING ONLY. Do not park in areas designated faculty/staff as
you may be ticketed or towed. Street parking is controlled by the Borough of West
Chester and is strictly enforced. View our Campus Map to locate the parking areas.
- Will I be able to schedule for classes the same day as orientation?
Academic scheduling is not part of orientation. We strongly encourage you to schedule an academic advising meeting
with your department as soon as possible. A list of academic departments and phone
numbers was included in your Admissions acceptance packet. Please do not schedule
an advising appointment the same day as your orientation unless you are able schedule
a time after 2:30 p.m.
- Where does orientation take place?
Transfer orientation is held in Sykes Student Union, 110 W. Rosedale Avenue. View
our Campus Map.
Transfer Orientation Dates and Registration
Transfer orientations for 2017 will be held on Thursday, August 17, Friday, August
18, and Monday, August 21. The deadline to register is Monday, August 14, 2017.
To complete your registration, log into your MyWCU account. Select the Schedule your Orientation Session link located in the Alerts section and complete the registration form. If you do not see your desired orientation
date listed, that session is full and no longer available. Once you complete the
form, you will receive an e-mail in your WCU e-mail confirming your orientation date.
- When Is January Orientation?
- January Orientation is Friday, January 13, 2017.
- Check-in will be held from 8:30 am to 9:45 am in the lobby of Sykes Student Union, 110 W. Rosedale Avenue. Light refreshments will
be served and ID photos will be taken.
- The program runs from 9:50 am to 2:00 pm, with optional programs from 2:00 to 2:30 pm.
- University offices are open until 4:30pm so you can handle University business after orientation.
- Information about inclement weather changes will be placed on our website and on our
- What Can I Expect at Orientation?
- We will provide you with information about academic and student life, answer your
questions, help you become familiar with WCU, and introduce you to other new students
through small group discussions and activities.
- You will receive your WCU student ID.
- How Do I Register and Pay for Orientation?
- To register for January orientation, log into your MyWCU account and choose the Schedule Your Orientation Session link located in the Alerts section. Instructions for setting up your MyWCU account were included in your Admissions
- Read and follow the online instructions to complete the form and pay the $68.00 orientation
fee. You will be able to pay online with a credit card or you can pay by check or
- If you need a payment plan for the orientation fee, contact New Student Programs at
- Why Is There an Orientation Fee?
- The orientation fee covers all costs associated with the orientation program including
materials, staffing, students' meals, and ID cards.
- Orientation registrations are not complete until the orientation fee has been received.
- When Does Registration Start and What is the Registration Deadline?
- Online registration begins on or about November 15, 2017. Your online registration
form and orientation fee must be received no later than Monday, January 9, 2017.
- Does January Orientation Include Academic Advising and Scheduling?
- January Orientation DOES NOT include academic advising or scheduling.
- To schedule, contact your major department as soon as possible to make an appointment
and finalize your course schedule (undeclared students must schedule an appointment
with Pre-Major advising). A list of departments and phone numbers was included in
your Admissions acceptance packet.
- Please note that University offices will be closed from Monday, December 26, 2016,
through Monday, January 2, 2017.
- Can Parents, Family Members or Guests Attend Orientation?
- Yes, a special program is scheduled during January orientation for parents, family
members and guests.
- There is no charge for this program, although lunch is not provided. Parents, family
members and guests can purchase a lunch ticket at check-in. Students' lunches are
included in their orientation fee.
- To assist us in planning, please complete the parent section of the online registration
form. In addition, please complete a Parent/Guardian Information Sheet.
- Where Do I Park?
- Park in any student space behind Sykes Student Union or in M lot behind the Swope
- Do not park in faculty/staff spaces as you may be ticketed or towed.
- Street parking near the University is metered or by permit only. It is controlled
by the Borough of West Chester and is strictly enforced.
- Metered parking available on Rosedale Avenue across from Sykes Student Union has a
3-hour time limit.
- Click on the parking icon on the New Student Programs home page for a campus map and driving directions.
Student Success Opportunities