College of Education
West Chester University
302 Recitation Hall
West Chester, PA 19383
Call: (610) 436-2321
Fax : (610) 436-3102
1. How do I go about applying for the Autism Certificate program? Apply online…
When asked to identify “program applying to” go to Special Education and select “Special Ed C243.” If you encounter difficulties contact the Office of Graduate Studies.
2. Is there an application deadline?
No, applications are processed throughout the year – Accepted applicants will be placed in a cohort (a group of students taking the classes together for the entirety of the certificate program). Cohorts are filled on a first come, first served basis.
3. What happens once I submit my application?
The graduate office reviews your application. Within 4-6 weeks of receiving your application, you will receive a decision letter from the university. If accepted, you will be notified of whom to contact to schedule your classes. Classes for the autism certificate are considered “closed” so students will be hand enrolled by the departments.
4. Do I have to complete the program in one year?
Students typically complete the program in 1-2 years.
5. How many students are accepted?
There is no limit to enrollment in the program.
6. When are the classes typically offered?
Summer I: EDA 503 Family Systems in Special Education: Field and Seminar
Summer I (online): KIN 587 Contemporary Issues in Adapted Physical Activity: Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Summer II: EDA 530 Teaching Students with Autism
Summer II : EDA 520 Intro to Autism: Understanding Autism and the Interdisciplinary Process - EDA 544 Classroom Management may now be substituted for EDA 520
Fall: PSY 521 Issues in Autism: Diagnosis and Behavioral Treatments
Fall: SPP 565 Communicative Enhancement for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Fall: EDA 544 Classroom Management
7. How much will each course cost?
Contact the WCUPA graduate studies office and/or the university bursar to determine current pricing.
8. Are there any prerequisites?
Bachelor’s Degree - Minimum 3.0 GPA
Official transcripts, a professional goals statement, and application fee must be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Studies and Extended Education
McKelvie Hall, 102 Rosedale Avenue
West Chester University
West Chester, PA 19383-2600
9. Are the courses offered at West Chester or another site?
West Chester University Main Campus
10. Can you enroll in the certificate while enrolled in an additional WCU graduate program (e.g. M.Ed. Special Education, MA Communicative Disorders, MA Psychology?
Yes, recent changes to graduate enrollment allow students to enroll in two WCU graduate programs simultaneously. Contact the Graduate Studies Office or Dr. Vicki McGinley, firstname.lastname@example.org, for details.