Graduates of Geography programs have a wide variety of careers open to them, but usually they do not have "Geographer" in the title. Examples include Planners, Spatial Analysts, Travel Consultants, Foresters, GIS Technicians or GIS Analysts, Project Directors, Transportation Specialists, Environmental Consultants, Demographers, Township Directors, and Mapping Professionals.
The Association of American Geographers has a page for jobs in geography, and the AAG site also provides information regarding employment and salary trends, sample jobs, career advice, and more.
Recent job postings:
- Millersville University of Pennsylvania is hiring a Campus Sustainability Manager. Posted 6/29/15.
- American Water in New Jersey is hiring an Operations Technician GPS/Asset Control. A WCU alumni told us about this position, and adds that “The job is about a 70/30 split between being out in the field collecting GPS data and in the office making GIS edits to our existing map. This can all change depending upon the week to week weather. Last year, NJ American began a large quality control project on their GIS database because it is still largely based off of hand drawn sketches and other existing paper records. It is the job of techs to collect GPS points of company owned infrastructure and use these points to correct any discrepancies in the GIS. This is a great job for anyone who likes to work primarily outdoors but also wants to work with GIS.
NJ American is a great company that takes care of its employees (benefits, 401k, time off, training, etc.)
The job is located in Short Hills, NJ, but our operations center coverage area spans from West Orange, NJ to Belvidere (Warren County), NJ. A company vehicle is provided for any work related travel.” Posted 6/29/15.
- A limited-term GIS/Lidar Analyst position is open at the University of Delaware."The primary focus of the job is the processing and managing of lidar data (point cloud and raster DEM) and elevation data derivatives for Delaware." Posted 6/22/15.
- The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection is hiring a Geographic Information Systems Specialist 3. Applications are due by June 30th. Posted 6/16/15.
- Part-time paid hourly GIS positions are available with the New Jersey Dept. of Environmental Protection - Bureau of GIS. The closing date is June 26th! Posted 6/15/15.
- The State of Maine is hiring a GIS Senior Programmer Analyst. You can also find the job posting here. Posted 6/02/2015.
- NYC Planning is hiring a Senior City Planner. A WCU alumni told us about this position! Posted 5/26/2015.
- The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority is accepting applications for the Planner / Schedule Maker position. Applications are due June 5th, 2015. A WCU alumni told us about this position! Posted 5/26/2015.
- Dickinson College is recruiting for a Sustainability Projects Coordinator. Please share this announcement with people who may be interested and with relevant networks.
Dickinson College, a leader in sustainability education, is hiring a Projects Coordinator to join the staff of its Center for Sustainability Education and develop, manage and lead projects and activities that use the campus as a living laboratory for hands-on learning about sustainability. The Projects Coordinator will supervise paid student interns, develop student volunteer opportunities, oversee Dickinson’s Handlebar Bike Cooperative, update and improve Dickinson’s greenhouse gas inventory, coordinate reporting about Dickinson’s sustainability efforts, and assist with other activities that advance Dickinson’s sustainability goals. This is an entry-level position that will pay a competitive salary for an individual with a bachelor’s degree and one or two years of relevant experience. The College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff, and student body. We encourage applications from all qualified persons. View the position description and apply online. Review of applications will begin April 27, 2015, but we will consider applications received after that date until the position is filled.
- Sussex County is hiring a GIS Specialist in their Mapping and Addressing Department. Posted 4/02/15.
- The State of Delaware is hiring a Planner I. Posted 3/12/15.
- The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (Watershed Assessment and Management Section) is hiring a GIS specialist. Applications are due March 20th, and more information is here. Posted 3/12/15.
- The Office of Planning in DC is hiring a cartographer. Posted 2/27/2015.
- Sankanac CSA is looking for apprentices. Apprentices at Sankanac CSA (Community-supported Agriculture) receive hands-on training by working alongside experienced mentor farmers through the North American Biodynamic Apprenticeship Program. In addition they receive a solid theoretical foundation in biodynamic and organic agriculture through a two-week-long “Winter Intensive” study at the Nature Institute and Hawthorne Valley in NY state, weekly tutorials and planning meetings, farm tours, and ongoing agrarian and anthroposophical study groups throughout the year. Apprentices work year-round, April to March, including the 24-week summer CSA and planning, planting, harvesting and maintenance throughout the year. Sankanac CSA is part of Camphill Village Kimberton Hills, a lifesharing community that includes adults with special needs; apprentices live in extended-family-style houses in the village along with residents with disabilities. Apprentices have the option of participating in AmeriCorps, a national service organization with educational benefits. For more information, visit camphillkimberton.org, www.biodynamics.com/nabdap, www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps, and email SankanacCSA@gmail.com. Posted 2/04/2015.
- Casey Trees (in Washington, DC), is looking for "a GIS Analyst in the Technical Services and Research Department (TS&R). The incumbent provides training, support and mapping solutions to the organization and constituents. The ideal candidate is proficient in ArcGIS for desktop and extensions, with an eye for effective map design; possesses good interpersonal and communication skills; functions well in a fast paced close-knit team setting, and; has a genuine interest in Casey Trees’ mission." Applications are due Friday, February 6th, 2015. More information (including how to apply) is here. Posted 1/26/2015.
- Blair County Planning Commission is hiring a Community Planner and a Strategic Planner, both entry-level positions. As David W. McFarland, Director, explains: "Our office overall has three basic functions: 1) Regional Planning, both short- and long-term; 2) Transportation Planning (we are the Altoona MPO staff); and 3) Community Development Programming, such as CDBG, HOME, and such programs. The Community Planner position is an entry level planning position focusing on municipal assistance, project review, and occasional help with long-range, broad-scope planning projects. It is more along the lines of a typical entry-level planning position, and will be involved in the first function listed above, with a bit of dabbling possible in the others. The Strategic Planner is more involved in programmatic requirements, and developing plan and policy documents to support the administration of the various grant programs we administer. It is a bit more ‘back office’ than what many might expect from a planning job. It will focus primarily on the third function, with some dabbling in the other two." Posted 1/08/2015
- Chester Ridley Crum Watersheds Association is adding a new part-time position for a Project Coordinator at CRC, primarily to assist with habitat restoration projects. More information (including how to apply) is here. Posted 1/02/2015.
- AKRF is looking to hire 2 entry level (0-2 years of experience) environmental scientists/environmental engineers to work on stream restoration, green infrastructure design and maintenance, flood mitigation, wetland mitigation, hydraulic modelling and other interesting assignments. The position would be initially based in Mt. Laurel with a probable move to our planned Center City Philadelphia location in the spring. Information on applying is here.