- Eli Kahn, WCU Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Wed., Oct. 7, 7:15-8:15, Mitchell Hall Room 202. Mr. Kahn, President of E. Kahn Development Corp. will be discussing trends and issues in urban and regional planning. Mr. Kahn’s company has a proven record of transforming underutilized and environmentally challenged properties into vibrant business and community centers. This should be an interesting talk for planners and geographers alike. Put this on your calendar for now and stay tuned for more information and a link to register (there is no cost).
- Graduate Social Event, Tuesday, Oct. 13, 6-8pm, WCU Foundation, 202 Carter Drive. Come meet with the faculty of the Geography & Planning department. All graduate students are invited to attend. For those of you enrolled in GEO585 and GEO503, Dr. Fritschle and Dr. Lewandowski have graciously agreed to adjust their classes to enable attendance. While the event is meant to be primarily social, we will take the opportunity to let you know more about faculty research interests to help you think about a possible research project or thesis director. Light food and beverages will be provided.
- Pennsylvania Geographical Society's annual meeting, November 6th in the Sykes Student Union. Students are encouraged to attend, and to consider presenting a paper or poster!
- West Chester University now offers an On-Line Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) . Read more about it here.
- Review of International Geographical Education Online (RIGEO) is an on-line geographical education journal publishing 2 issues per year, and is based on the principle of making research freely available to the public. See what it has to offer.
The Geography and Planning Department offers programs that bridge the physical
and social sciences, combining the theoretical with practical experience. Students
gain knowledge that can be applied to societal and environmental problems and to
future planning. Departmental programs prepare the student for the
post-graduation job market as well as for advanced educational opportunities.
For more information, please contact the Geography and Planning Department Chair, Dr. Dottie Ives Dewey, or call 610-436-2343.