Online Writing Consultations
The WCU Writing Center provides online consultations for writers who are unable to come in person to the Writing Center. These live consultations are conducted by Writing Center tutors via Google Docs during regular Writing Center hours. Please note: These writing consultations are available in 60-minute blocks only. Online sessions are designed to give writers the greatest possible benefit by following the purpose and model of the Writing Center's traditional live sessions. To schedule an online writing session:
Frequently Asked Questions About Online Writing Consultations
- Go to www.wcupa.edu/writingcenter and follow the link for the scheduling system on the righthand side of the page. You will need to schedule a one-hour block. Scheduling must occur at least a half hour in advance, and the Writing Center cannot ensure that there will be staff available for online consulting during particular busy periods.
- After your session is scheduled, send a copy of the material you wish to work with to WCUWritingCenter@gmail.com. If you wish to brainstorm or discuss an assignment you haven't begun to write yet, please send any available instructions or a short summary of the assignment instead. You should receive an automated response indicating that your email has arrived successfully within five minutes of sending. Please save your document as a .doc file because that is the format Google Docs can work with.
- At the scheduled time, check the e-mail account from which you sent your document. You will receive an e-mail from the Writing Center at the time your session is scheduled to begin. Click the provided link in the message to open your document in Google Docs. (You do not need to have a Google account to do this.) Next, click the arrow in the upper right-hand corner of the page (to the right of “WCUWritingCenter is viewing”) to open the chat window and message the WCU online writing consultant.
- The writing consultant will begin the session with a greeting in the text message area at the right of the screen. Please make an attempt to write clearly and correctly, to best enable the consultant to help you with your writing.
- If you are having difficulty with these instructions, you may call 610-430-5664 for assistance.