PA State System on Higher Education (PASSHE) Diversity and Equity Grants
These grants are funded by the Diversity and Equal Opportunity appropriation from the PA General Assembly, through the Office of the Chancellor. The purpose of the appropriation is to support vital System-wide initiatives designed to achieve and promote diversity by serving the educational needs of historically underrepresented minority students, faculty and staff populations. These initiatives include programs that (1) expand the R. Benjamin Wiley Partnership Program; (2) enhance joint recruitment activities conducted by admissions personnel; (3) serve students who require necessary accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act; (4) add value to campus climate and retention initiatives; and (5) enhance the professional development of women and minority faculty.
The Office of the Chancellor will continue to sponsor specific programs and projects that achieve the above purposes utilizing the resources of the Diversity and Equal Opportunity appropriation, (such as, but not limited to, the student development leadership conference, joint recruitment, women's leadership consortium). Such projects are programmed as needed outside this RFP process.
2009 PASSHE Diversity and Equity Grant Recipients at West Chester University:
- "Writing Zones - A Space for Diverse Students between Grades 12 & 13," project director, Dr. Hannah Ashley, Department of English - Awarded $8,558
- "Latinidad: Cross-Cultural Immersion Seminar Around the Corner," project directors, Dr. Linda Stevenson, Department of Political Science and Dr. Michele Belliveau, Department of Undergraduate Social Work - Awarded $10,000
- "Brother to Brother Program - Retention of Male Multicultural Students," project director, Dr. Idna Corbett - Undergraduate Studies and Student Services - Awarded $10,000.
2008 PASSHE Diversity and Equity Grant Recipients at West Chester University:
- "DNA and Discussion: An Interactive Exhibition," Project Director: Dr. Anita Foreman, Department of Communications - Awarded $12,000
- "Recruitment and Retention of Historically Underrepresented Students into Teacher Education," Project Directors: Dr. Heather Leaman and Dr. Gail Bolin, Department of Elementary and Special Education and Dr. Stephanie Hinson, Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology - Awarded $4,900
- "Exploring Creole Culture Across National Boundaries," Project Director: Dr. Jerry Williams and Dr. Anne-Marie Moscatelli, Department of Foreign Languages - Awarded $10,000
- "The Communiversity Book Club Project- Raising Awareness about Hispanic Heritage and Culture in the WCU Learning Communities through a Common Reading Series of Lectures and Community Events," Project Directors: Dr. Victoria Tischio, Department of English, Mrs. Mame Purce, Department of Francis Harvey Green Library, and Ms. Shelly Siedzikowski, Department of New Student Programs - Awarded $9,500