Office Of Social Equity

West Chester University

13/15 University Avenue
West Chester, PA 19383
Phone: 610-436-2433
Fax: 610-436-3164
Report Sexual Misconduct


Filing a Sexual Misconduct Report



West Chester University strongly encourages prompt reporting of sexual offenses to the police but recognizes that people who experience sexual misconduct have the right to decide whether to file a criminal report with the police, a WCU judicial report with the Office of Judicial Affairs, a sexual harassment complaint with the Office of Social Equity, an informal report, an anonymous report, or no report at all.

Here are a few things to know about filing a report:

  • Anyone can file a report whether they are a victim, witness, or concerned third party.
  • Victims have the option to file a criminal report with the police, a campus judicial report with the Office of Judicial Affairs or a Title IX report with the Office of Social Equity.
  • Filing a report does not mean that you have to be involved in a police investigation, go to court, or talk to the perpetrator.
  • A victim or witness who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of a sexual misconduct incident generally will not face disciplinary charges from the University or from the Department of Public Safety for underage drinking or drug use.
  • A victim has the right to request a victim advocate to go with them when filing a report with the police or with the University. Call 610-436-2122 or visit the Women’s Center (Lawrence 220) to request a victim advocate. Or, call the Crime Victims’ Center of Chester County to request a victim advocate (610-692-7273).
  • The intentional filing of a false report will not be tolerated. It is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct to make an intentionally false report of any policy violation, and it may also violate state criminal laws and civil defamation laws.

There are several reporting options that are available at WCU, and the choices can sometimes be confusing or overwhelming.

If you have any questions or need help, the offices or staff members listed in the On-Campus Resources section of the site can offer information and support. Choose any office with whom you feel most comfortable.

Please consider filing a report by submitting one online using the link in the upper right corner of this page or by using one of the following methods, follow the links to find out more:

  • Filing a Police Report


    Those who want to press criminal charges against a perpetrator(s) should contact the Department of Public Safety (610-436-3311), dial 911, or contact the police in the area where the assault took place. Criminal charges can be filed against any type of perpetrator, including non-WCU members. Criminal charges of sexual assault are entirely separate from violations of the Student Code of Conduct, which only applies to WCU students. Filing a formal report with the police is necessary when a victim would like to initiate a criminal investigation by the police. Perpetrators can receive punishment up to and including jail time. Anyone who has been sexually assaulted may choose to pursue both criminal prosecution and university disciplinary processes.

  • Filing a WCU Judicial Report


    Sexual misconduct is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, and as such a victim may make a judicial complaint against a WCU student(s). A judicial investigation and hearing is separate from a criminal investigation by the police. A perpetrator can receive punishment up to and including expulsion from the University. Formal judicial complaints can be made by contacting:

    Ms. Christina Brenne
    Office of Judicial Affairs and Student Assistance
    Sykes Student Union, Room 238

  • Filing a Title IX Complaint


    Sexual harassment, which includes acts of sexual violence, is a form of sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Title IX investigation is separate from a criminal investigation by the police and courts.

    The University is required to conduct an investigation into any incidents of sexual misconduct that the University receives information about. This includes anonymous or informal reports, as well as reports from other University offices. A victim can file a Title IX complaint and the Office of Social Equity will take the lead on the investigation involving complaints against employees or vendors on campus. The Office of Judicial Affairs and Student Assistance will conduct investigations into complaints against students. For Title IX investigations, the focus is on a balance between the needs and wishes of the victim and the need to provide a safe campus community free from all forms of harassment.

    A victim of any form of sex discrimination, sexual violence, or gender-based harassment may file a complaint with the WCU Title IX coordinator:

    Lynn Klingensmith
    Office of Social Equity
    13/15 University Avenue

  • Filing an Informal or Anonymous Report

  • The University strongly encourages those who want to file a report on behalf of themselves or someone else to identify themselves by name, but anonymous reports will be accepted by anyone with knowledge of a sexual misconduct violation.

    Informal or anonymous reports can be filed in a couple of ways.

    • Submit a Sexual Misconduct Incident Report Form online at Paper copies are also available and can be downloaded from the Sexual Misconduct Report site. Submit paper copies of the form via campus or postal mail to Barbara Schneller, Title IX Coordinator, Office of Social Equity, 13/15 University Avenue, West Chester University, West Chester, PA 19383.
    • Call the Anonymous Crime Tip Line operated by the Office of Campus Security at 610-436-3100.

    Informal and anonymous reports are used to collect information on instances of sexual misconduct. The information is useful for assessing the danger the incident represents to the community at large. In addition, information is also used for assessment purposes to ensure that WCU is maintaining a campus climate that is safe and supportive and providing adequate resources for students.

    The University has a legal obligation to investigate informal or anonymous reports of sexual misconduct to the extent feasible. It is not usually possible to conduct a formal investigation of anonymous reports of sexual misconduct, or in situations where a complainant requests confidentiality, or when a person making a report asks that the complaint not be pursued; however, the University has a responsibility to take action to prevent misconduct.

    In the event of anonymous reports of sexual misconduct, or if the person making the report asks that the complaint not be pursued, the Office of Social Equity will take all reasonable steps to investigate and respond to the complaint consistent with the request for confidentiality, which may include meeting with the alleged harasser to provide notification of the allegations and the possible repercussions if a formal complaint is brought forward. The Social Equity Office may recommend voluntary sexual misconduct training for an individual or a work unit.