West Chester University
General Fitness Floor Policies
- Use equipment at your own risk.
- Appropriate attire is required. The following attire applies to all strength and cardiovascular equipment areas: (Entire Facility Dress Code)
- Any skin showing below the bra/pec line is prohibited. We recommend wearing a shirt and the usage of towels. A shirt is needed to be worn in the Terrace.
- Athletic shorts or pants – no jeans or cargo pants/shorts.
- Athletic clothing appropriate for general public. Clothing should not be worn in such a way as to be offensive to other users. Attire that is of an inappropriate/offensive manner is prohibited and patrons will be asked to adjust and/or change attire, or asked to leave.
- Wear a clean pair of full-toed athletic shoes. Vibrams “five finger toe” shoe is permitted. All footwear must be dry and free of dirt and snow before participating; bringing a second pair of athletic shoes is strongly recommended. No boots, flip-flops, “croc” type shoes, or ballet shoes permitted.
- Proper use of equipment is required. Improper use includes but is not limited to: standing on equipment or weights, stacking weights/plates under equipment, taking dumbbells in the gym, hanging upside down from equipment, walking backwards on the treadmills, and top loading. Please ask WCU staff for assistance if you are not familiar with equipment or for clarification of proper use.
- Wipe down all cardiovascular (rails, seats, control boards, etc.) or strength (pads, handles, etc.) equipment when finished with provided towel and cleaning supplies located throughout cardio and strength areas by spraying towel directly (never on equipment).
- Personal trainers and/or instructors, whether being compensated or not, who are not WCU employees are prohibited. This policy is to reduce risk of injury to members and ensure trainers/instructors are covered by liability insurance.
- TV Station Policies:
- TVs will be set to primary stations and will not be changed.
- During special times, such as March Madness or College Football Bowl Games, some variety of TVs may change to other categories.
- WCU has the right to limit or prohibit exercises/activities performed by patrons that are seen as hazardous or high risk to themselves or others, this includes but is not limited to:
- Usage of novel fitness and/or recreation equipment not provided/approved by WCU
- Performing dangerous or disruptive activities that may cause harm, injury or damage to WCU patrons and facilities
- Utilizing WCU equipment and/or recreation space for a purpose other than what it was designed for
- Final judgment on what constitutes a break in policy will be at the discretion of WCU staff.
Strength Equipment Policies
- Maintain control of weights at all times. Do not drop or throw weights.
- Use of spring lock collars is required on all free-weight bars.
- Olympic lifting is prohibited. Final interpretation of permissible activities is reserved for WCU staff.
- Equipment must remain in designated areas.
- The use of any topical grip aid (i.e. chalk, liquids, sprays, lotions, etc.) is not permitted on the fitness floor.
- All weights must be re-racked on the appropriately marked rack position.
Cardio Equipment Policies
- Normally all cardio equipment has a 60 minute limit. There is a 30 minute limit on all cardio equipment when others are waiting.
- Wear a clean pair of athletic shoes. A second pair of athletic shoes is strongly recommended. All footwear must be dry and free of dirt and snow before participating.
- Return equipment to starting position.
- Wipe down equipment when finished.
- Chalk is not permitted on the fitness floor.
- Water only permitted in closed, plastic containers only; food prohibited
- Properly dispose of gum.
- Use equipment at your own risk.
- Report any injuries, and facility or equipment irregularities to staff.
- Spectators not allowed on third floor running area.
- Walkers and slower runners use inside lane.
- Clean running/cross training shoes only.
- Patrons must follow direction sign.
- Participants are not permitted to utilize the stairs in the facility for any unintended purposes, including but not limited to:
- Anything else deemed inappropriate or unsafe by the discretion of WCU staff