Student Health Services
2014 Chester County Guide to Local Farm Products - check it out!!
California Avocado Breakfast Taco
Avocado adds good fats for flavor and satiety
Karen K. Fiorenza,
MPH, RD, LDN
Call 610-436-2509 or
A $12 visit fee is charged for all Student Health Services appointments.
Fall and Spring:
- 2 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
- 1/4 lemon
- salt, to taste
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 packed cup washed, stemmed and torn kale (or spinach)
- 1/8 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup egg whites or egg substitute
- 1/ cup diced roasted red pepper
1) Microwave tortillas to soften, 15 to 20 seconds. Reserving one quarter of the avocado for garnish, spoon remaning avocado on each tortilla and mash with a fork to spread; add a little squeeze of lemon juice and a light sprinkling of salt; dice the remaining quarter avocado.
2) Meanwhile, heat half of the oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add kale; saute until just wilted, just a couple of minutes; turn onto a plate.
3) Return skillet to burner and heat remaining oil. Whisk pepper flakes into egg whites. Add to a hot skillet and using a spatula to push back the eggs that have set, tilt pan so uncooked eggs run into the empty portion of the skillet. Continue pushing back cooked eggs and tilting pan until eggs are no longer runny.
4) Halve eggs, placing a portion on each tortilla; top each with a portion of kale, roasted pepper and diced avocado and squeeze with a little more lemon juice. Fold and serve.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 240; Total Fat 14g ( Sat 2g, Trans 0, Poly 2g, Mono 9g), Cholesterol 0, Sodium 310mg; Potassium 580mg; Total Carbohydrates 20g; Dietary Fiber 6g, Total Sugars 2g; Protein 11g
Like us on facebook!!!!
"Maintaing Nutrition While Paying Tuition" - Healthful Recipes at your fingertips!