View Text Only Version

Student Health Services

Our Services

Contact Us  

Student Health Services

Commonwealth Hall, Ground Floor

Mailing Address:
Student Health Services
715 S. New Street
West Chester, PA 19383

Phone: 610-436-2509
Fax: 610-436-3148

About Us

Our staff includes Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physicians, Nutritionist, and Wellness Promotion Specialists. Our goal is to help you stay healthy and in class so you can meet your academic goals.

We are well equipped to manage the illnesses and injuries common to a student population.

Our Services

General Health Care

We are well equipped to manage your general health needs. Make an appointment for respiratory infection, asthma care, orthopedic injuries, urinary tract infections, sexual health care, or other health concerns. We can also do your physical exam, if it is required for employment or a driver's license.

Allergy Shots

Beginning Summer 2015, students will need to make arrangements to receive their allergy shots privately. Due to changes in recommendations for administration and monitoring of immunotherapy, Student Health Services will no longer provide this service.
Please contact Student Health Services if you need assistance in finding a local care provider.

  • All students who have paid the Student Health Services fee are eligible to use services. Fees are added to the tuition and fees bill for all full-time undergraduate and graduate students.
  • There is a $12 visit fee for all appointments at Student Health Services, including medical care, BASICS, and nutrition education.
  • You may incur additional charges for medication or necessary supplies. You may always request to be given information about getting prescriptions and supplies from an outside pharmacy.

Payment for Health Services

  • Charges for visits will automatically be posted to your student account.
  • Charges will not reveal any confidential health information. You can pay for these charges at the Bursar's Office or online through QuikPay.
    • The Bursars office accepts cash, checks, or money orders.
    • Payments on QuikPay can be made with either an e-check or credit card (American Express, Discover, or MasterCard).
  • To allow Title IV financial aid to cover health services charges, please log into myWCU, use the link posted under the Alert section of myWCU, and complete the Title IV Authorization form.
  • Student Health Services does not perform third party billing to insurance companies. You can request a receipt for services to submit to your insurance company, but payment by private insurers varies by plan and is not guaranteed by Student Health Services.
  • Complete List of Fees



FLU SHOTS: Call for an appointment for a flu shot.

Required Immunization

Student Health Services offers appointments for TB skin tests and the following immunizations: meningitis, seasonal influenza, tetanus, and tetanus with pertussis

  • Meningitis vaccine: Pennsylvania law requires all college students living in campus housing in Pennsylvania to have a Meningococcal Vaccination or sign a waiver. (available at Student Health Services)

Recommended Immunizations

  • Hepatitis B: series of 3 vaccines
  • HPV Vaccination: 3 doses
  • Influenza Vaccination (Flu Shot): recommended annually (available at Student Health Services)
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella: two doses of live MMR administered on or after the first birthday (students born before 1957 are exempt)
  • Tetanus: Original series, plus booster within 10 years (available at Student Health Services)
  • Varicella: two doses of live varicella vaccine or physician documented history of the illness (chicken pox)
  • TB skin tests: required for select students (education and nursing majors. Available at Student Health Services)
    • All students who receive an immunization or TB test must remain in the health center for 15 minutes for observation.
  • If your meningitis vaccine dose was on or before your sixteenth birthday, the CDC recommends that you get a second dose prior to arriving at school, especially if you will be living on campus


  • Student Health Services (SHS) includes a medication dispensary with medications that are frequently prescribed during a health visit.
  • Prescriptions from outside physicians cannot be filled at SHS.
  • There is a nominal fee for medications, with prices generally lower than the prices found in chain pharmacies.
  • You may choose to purchase specific medications at a local pharmacy; be familiar with your prescription plan and bring a copy of your prescription plan card to school.

Pharmacies Within Walking Distance of Campus

  • Rite Aid Pharmacy: 13 E. Gay St., 610-696-0409
  • Rite Aid Pharmacy: 929 S. High St. (Parkway Shopping Center), 610-436-6767
  • Walgreens Pharmacy: 708 W. Nields St., 484-653-1400
  • Complete List of Pharmacies

Needle Disposal

  • You can pick up a FREE sharps disposal container at Student Health Services.
  • Improper disposal of needles and sharps leads to health risks for staff and students.
  • Please ask at the front desk of the Health Center to receive your sharps disposal container.
  • We strongly encourage participants of the Safe Needle Disposal Program to exchange a full sharps container with a new, empty sharps container at the Health Center.

Sexual Health Services


Contraception is a method of preventing unplanned pregnancy. Most women of reproductive age in the United States use some form of contraception. Contraceptives are available by:

  • Prescription: oral contraceptives ("the Pill"), emergency contraception, hormonal patches, injection or shots, the contraceptive ring, diaphragms, and the IUD
  • Over-the-counter: condoms, spermicide, and menstrual cups
  • You can get a prescription for contraceptives at Student Health Services.
  • You can purchase oral contraceptives at Student Health Services if the prescription was issued by a SHS care provider.
Learn More

STI Testing

Sexually transmitted infections (STI's) are passed from one person to another during sexual contact. If you are sexually active, it is important to get tested regularly, since many STI's have no symptoms. Getting tested makes you aware of any treatments you may need.

  • When to Test:
    • Definitely get tested if you have symptoms of an STI: sores, warts, vaginal or penile discharge, pain with urination, or a partner with symptoms. Testing recommendations vary depending on risk factors.
  • STI Testing at Student Health Services:
    • Talk with the Nurse Practitioner during your appointment about which tests are appropriate for you.
  • Other local STI Testing sites:

GYN Exams

  • A GYN (pelvic) exam may not be needed to start a contraceptive. If you have had an exam elsewhere, please get copies of your records/testing before your appointment at Student Health Services.
  • Talk with the Nurse Practitioner about your concerns and questions.
  • An exam is usually needed for STI testing.
  • A PAP Smear is done to screen for cervical cancer. Talk with the nurse practitioner about this if you have questions.

TB Testing

Fall 2015 TB Testing Clinics

Dates: August 25, 26, 27 and September 1 and 3.
Times: 10 am- 2 PM
Where: Student Health Services, Ground Floor Commonwealth Hall
Cost: $34 with charges applied to student account

TB Tests

The Student Health Center offers the Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Test to determine exposure to tuberculosis. Learn more about Tuberculosis from the CDC.

  • TB skin tests: required for select students.
    • Education majors
    • Nursing majors
    • International Students: Students who are from countries where TB disease is very common (most countries in Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and Russia), and have entered the United States within the 5 years prior to University entrance. TB screening must be done within 6 months prior to the start of classes.
    • If you were born in or have traveled and spent more than 30 days in an endemic country in the last 5 years.

All students who receive an immunization or TB test must remain in the health center for 15 minutes for observation.

Tuberculosis testing requirements may vary among University departments. Contact the Department representative for specific information.