Guide to Residential Living

West Chester University

Residence Life and Housing Services
202 Lawrence Center
West Chester, PA 19383
fax: 610-430-5945

Residence Life Staff

All members of your Residence Life and Housing Services (RLHS) staff are genuinely interested in helping you enjoy and benefit from your on-campus living experience. They are willing to help you with just about any need or problem you have–from getting your classes scheduled to planning a floor social; from finding a particular building on campus to adjusting to University life.

RLHS staff members have all undergone extensive selection and training for their positions. They are available to answer your questions and to help you encounter both an enjoyable and meaningful experience in the residence halls or apartments. Become acquainted with RLHS staff members and do not hesitate to ask for their assistance!

Your Resident Assistant (Also known as RA)

Each residence hall has a Resident Assistant(s) living on each floor, and the apartments also have Resident Assistants living in the buildings. Your RA is a full-time student who works part-time for the Office of Residence Life and Housing Services. Having lived on campus, your RA knows what it takes to make the most of living on campus.

What can you expect from your RA?

  • To answer any questions
  • To act as a referral person
  • To work at the Front Desk several hours a week
  • To hold floor or building meetings
  • To advise you on State and University regulations
  • To ask your help in making life on the floor enjoyable and productive
  • To be available on a personal basis for "just talking"
  • To challenge you with programs
  • To advise your floor or building on getting social events organized
  • To maintain confidentiality with you, when applicable
  • To conduct periodic tours of rooms, common areas, and individual apartments to check for damages, maintenance concerns or safety concerns
  • To be responsible for posting pertinent information for building or complex residents
  • To be available for general counseling, mediation and emergency situations

The Desk Assistant (Also known as DA's)

Desk Assistants are full-time students. Their job is to keep the Front Desk open to provide services for the residents of the hall. They answer phones, distribute mail and disburse information. They are also there to answer your questions and to assist you in the case of an emergency

Your Graduate Assistant (GA) or Head Resident Assistant (HRA)

The Office of Residence Life and Housing Services employs GAs and HRAs, who work under the direction of the Resident Director/Graduate Hall Directors. The GAs supervise the desk staff and perform other administrative tasks to help ensure that your residence hall community is operating smoothly. The Graduate Assistant also serves as a University Hearing Officer. You can meet your GA/HRA during posted office hours or by appointment.

Your Resident Director (RD) or Graduate Hall Director (GHD)

Each residence hall and each apartment complex at South Campus is managed by a Resident Director/Graduate Hall Director who lives in the building or complex. The RD/GHDs supervise the Graduate Assistant/Head Resident Assistant, Resident Assistant and Desk Assistant staff in their building or complex and are responsible for the daily operation of that hall or complex.The RD/GHD is available to you for consultation in a number of areas: personal relationships, academic and vocational concerns, or for general information about the University. Resident Directors/Graduate Hall Directors also serve as University Hearing Officers. You can meet with your RD/GHD during posted office hours or by appointment. You may also leave messages at the Front Desk or Clubhouse Desk for the RD/GHD or GA/HRA. In case of an emergency, the DA or RA will be able to locate the RD/GHD or the RD on-call to assist you.

Each of the Affiliated housing facilities (Allgheny, Brandywine, and University Halls and the Village at WCU) are staffed by a Community Manager and other staff who are available to address issues and answer questions about these areas. They may be contacted through the Front Desk of Allegheny, Brandywine and University Halls or the Clubhouse Desk in the Village.