First Year Students
Summer Orientation for Incoming Students
Incoming freshmen are required to attend a two-part summer orientation program designed just for them. At orientation, you will:
- Meet other new students
- Explore campus
- Learn about living in a residence hall or commuting
- Find resources so you can be successful at WCU
Part 1: One-day June Orientation
We offer eight one-day orientation sessions in June so you can register for a day that works with your schedule. The link to register will appear in your myWCU account once registration opens in mid to late April.
2017 orientation sessions will be held on: June 15th, 16th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 28th, 29th, and 30th.
Part 2: August Orientation
August Orientation takes place move-in weekend, Friday, August 25 through Sunday, August 27, 2017. You will move in on Friday, August 25th according to the schedule you receive over the summer. Orientation programs begin Friday evening and continue Saturday and Sunday. Commuters are required to attend as well.
No registration is required for August orientation. You will follow a schedule designed specifically for your residence hall or for commuter students. The schedules are posted here in mid to late August.
Remember, both the June and August orientation programs are mandatory!
What to Expect at June Orientation
You will check in, get a schedule for the day, and be placed in a peer group which is typically related to your major. You will have an in-depth campus tour, receive information about living on campus or commuting, and meet with an academic advisor to review your schedule and have your questions answered. You will also learn about resources to help you be successful, network with other students, and find out how to get involved in your first year at WCU.
Example June Orientation Schedule
June Orientation FAQs
- Is Orientation Mandatory?
Yes! Orientation is important for your success at WCU, so all first-year students are required to attend both Orientation Part 1 in June and Part 2 in August.
- How do I register for Part 1 in June?
See the June Orientation Dates and Registration tab below for instructions..
- Why is there an Orientation Fee?
The orientation fee covers the costs of both the June and August programs. These costs include all staffing, materials, presenters, meals, social activities, and student IDs. This one-time fee will be placed on your first semester bill.
- How will I know which June Orientation I am attending?
We will send a confirmation with your orientation date to your WCU e-mail once your registration is complete. Remember to check your WCU e-mail often and visit the IT Help Desk to link your WCU e-mail to your smartphone.
- Can my parents, family or other guests attend the June orientation with me?
Parents, family members, or other guests are welcome to attend the optional parent/family orientation in June. Your family and guests attend a separate program so you will not be together during the day. There is no charge for the parent, family and guest orientation, however lunch is not provided. Lunch tickets for Lawrence Dining Hall will be available to purchase at check-in. Parents and families do not attend Part 2 in August.
- How long will the orientation day be?
Orientation is 7:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Please keep this in mind when scheduling your orientation date as you must stay the entire day or you will be required to make up the orientation program.
- Can I change my orientation session?
Changes can be made using the link in MyWCU. Changes can be made only if space permits, so please choose your date carefully when registering. If your desired date is not an available option, then the session is full.
- What if I miss the day I registered for?
If you miss your scheduled day, contact New Student Programs at 610-436-3305 as soon as possible to reschedule. If you are unable to attend a later session in June, you must make up the missed orientation at a late session held in August.
- Does WCU offer overnight housing the day before our orientation program, or are there hotel accommodations in the area?
University Student Housing (USH) offers overnight accommodations in one of the suite-style affiliated residence halls the night before each orientation session. For more information visit the University Student Housing website, email USH at email@example.com, or call (610) 430-4USH. A list of area hotels can be found under the Visitors tab on the University’s home page.
- Where do I park for Orientation?
Orientation parking is in the Sharpless Street Parking Garage, located at 15 Sharpless Street. Please see our campus map and parking instructions or click the parking icon on the New Student Programs homepage. Please do not park in areas designated faculty/staff as you will be ticketed and possibly towed. You may park in designated student parking areas. Street parking is metered or by permit only and is controlled by the Borough of West Chester. Street parking regulations are strictly enforced.
- Where does June Orientation take place?
Please see our Campus Map to locate the check-in location.
- I have been accepted to the Honors College, when do I attend Orientation?
The Honors College will contact you with information regarding the date they will require you to attend.
- What do I do if I or a family member need special accommodations?
Contact New Student Programs at 610-436-3305 as soon as possible to inform us of any special needs to allow us time to make necessary arrangements. Arrangements should be made at least two weeks prior to your scheduled orientation date.
- What if I have additional questions?
Contact us at 610-436-3305 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June Orientation Dates and Registration
How to Register
Orientation registration opens in mid-April and closes in early June. Once registration opens, a link will be available in your MyWCU account. To register, log into your MyWCU account, click on the Schedule an Orientation Session link in the Alerts section and complete the registration form. Once your form is complete you will receive an e-mail confirmation in your WCU e-mail.
June 2017 orientation sessions will be held on June 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 28, 29 and 30.
The deadline for online registrations is Friday, June 2, 2017.
What to Expect at August Orientation
On Friday evening we will have educational programs, a picnic with University leadership, and social activities to help you meet other first-year students. Saturday and Sunday are filled with important information about academics, student life, and transitioning to college.
August Orientation FAQs
- What time does August orientation start and end?
August orientation starts Friday evening of move-in weekend. Programs are scheduled throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday.
- Am I required to attend August orientation?
Yes, attendance at August orientation programs is mandatory and attendance is taken.
- Do my parents attend August orientation with me?
No, August orientation is only for new first-year students.
- I'm a commuter student. Do I have to attend August orientation?
Yes, commuters will have a separate schedule that will outline the programs they have to attend.
- What if I miss August Orientation?
If you cannot attend the August program due to extenuating circumstances, you must contact the Office of New Student Programs at 610-436-3305 to make alternate arrangements.
- When Is January Orientation?
- January Orientation is Friday, January 13, 2017.
- Check-in will be held at 8:30 a.m. in the lobby of Sykes Student Union, 110 W. Rosedale Avenue. Light refreshments will be served.
- The program runs through 2:00 p.m., with optional programs from 2:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- University offices are open until 4:30 p.m. so you can handle other University business after Orientation.
- Information about inclement weather changes will be placed on our website and on our voicemail at 610-436-3305.
- What Can I Expect at Orientation?
- We will provide you with information about academics and student life, answer your questions, help you become familiar with WCU, and introduce you to other new students through small group discussions and activities.
- You will receive your WCU student ID (Ram e-Card).
- How Do I Register and Pay for Orientation?
- To register for January orientation, log onto your MyWCU account and choose the Schedule Your Orientation Session link located in the Alerts section. Instructions for setting up your MyWCU account were included in your Admissions acceptance packet.
- Read and follow the online instructions to complete the form and pay the $68.00 orientation fee.
- You will be able to pay online with a credit card or you may pay by check or money order.
- If you need a payment plan for the Orientation fee, please contact New Student Programs at 610-436-3305.
- Why Is There an Orientation Fee?
- The orientation fee covers all costs associated with the Orientation program including materials, staffing, student meals, and ID cards.
- Orientation registrations are not complete until the Orientation fee has been received.
- When Does Registration Begin and What is the Registration Deadline?
- Online orientation registration will begin in November. The registration link will appear in your MyWCU account when registration opens. Your online registration form and orientation fee should be received no later than Monday, January 9, 2017.
- Does January Orientation Include Academic Advising and Scheduling?
- January Orientation DOES NOT include academic advising or scheduling.
- Contact your major department as soon as possible to make an appointment and finalize your course schedule (undeclared students must schedule an appointment with Pre-Major advising). A list of departments and phone numbers was included in your Admissions acceptance packet.
- Please note that University offices are closed from December 26 through January 2.
- Can Parents, Family Members or Other Guests Attend Orientation?
- Yes, a special program for parents, family members and guests is scheduled during January Orientation.
- There is no charge for this program, although lunch is not provided.
- Parents, family members and guests can purchase a lunch ticket at check-in. Student lunches are included in their orientation fee.
- To assist us in planning, please complete the parent section of the online registration form. In addition, please complete a Parent/Guardian Information Sheet.
- Where Do I Park?
- Please park in any student space behind Sykes Student Union or in M lot near the Swope Music Building.
- Do not park in faculty/staff spaces as you may be ticketed or towed.
- Street parking is controlled by the Borough of West Chester and is strictly enforced.
- Some metered parking is available on Rosedale Avenue. Meters have a 3-hour time limit.
- Click on the parking icon on the New Student Programs home page for a campus map and parking instructions.
Student Success Opportunities and Helpful Links