The mission of the Applied Music Department is to provide an environment that promotes excellence and diversity in our students' preparation for careers in performance as soloists/accompanist/ensemble members, private teachers, and coaches/conductors.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Perform in a musically expressive manner and demonstrate the proper characteristics involved in, and related to, musical production.
- Demonstrate familiarity with musical literature and stylistic characteristics. (NASM, PDE)
- Develop information literacy by displaying critical thinking and listening skills through written critiques of performances concerning artistic expression, performance practice, selection of repertoire, conducting technique, and supportive notes for recitals. (NASM, PDE)
- Work in collaboration with other musicians, using proper rehearsal and performance techniques with accompanists and/or instrumental and choral ensembles, and demonstrate conducting skills.
- Be prepared for future career opportunities.