Looking to buy your student a new computer?
Need a little help?
Just stick to the basics!
There are no specific requirements for the type or brand of computer you decide to purchase, however, please note that 90% of the WCU campus uses Windows.
- Industry standard Processor (Intel Core 2 Duo Processor or higher, AMD Athlon 64 X2, etc.)
- A minimum of 2GB of memory
- 80GB (or larger) hard drive
- Ethernet (network) port/card (and an 802.11g compatible wireless card for laptops)
- CD/DVD combo drive with CD burning capabilities
- Microsoft Windows Vista, or Windows XP
- Microsoft Office 2003 or 2007 (or equiv.)
- Anti-Virus Software (Antivirus is mandatory to connect to the Residential Network. WCU offers FREE Antivirus available
at ACC and RESNET)
- Anti-Spyware Software (i.e., Windows Defender)
- 2GB or higher Flash Drive
- Ethernet (network) cable of 15’ or more
- Security Cable-Lock/Device (for laptops)
- 17” Monitor (LCD has become the standard)
- Stick with a brand name you can trust
- Remember to use your Student ID for discountsLook into extended manufacturer warranties
- 90% of our campus uses Windows
- technical support for students with Mac computers is limited to RESNET
Central (Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard)