Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program Development Guide

WCU Center For International Programs

Travel Signatures/Export Control

WCU International Travel Form Approvals

All West Chester University personnel travelling internationally (outside of the contiguous United States: this includes Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico) must receive approval prior to travel and in writing by the Center for International Programs and both the Provost and the University President.  There are two key steps and forms to fill out.   Both of these forms must be submitted to the Center for International Programs at least 4-6 weeks prior to travel.

A.International Travel Authorization Form

B. Technology Control Plan Forms (signed only by you and emailed directly to international@wcupa.edu)

Any questions? Contact the Center for International Programs (x3515 or international@wcupa.edu). Detailed instruction and helpful hints for completing the International Travel Authorization form and the Technology Control Plan Form are found below and may be found at:


Note:  All Faculty or Staff led study abroad programs (credit or non-credit, sports, club, and music performances etc.) that involve students travelling internationally must be in communication 6-8 months prior to departure with Dr. Peter Loedel (ploedel@wcupa.edu) and/or Jeff Conradi (jconradi@wcupa.edu) in the Center for International Programs. A program proposal form is required.  More detailed information and deadlines can be found at:


A. International Travel Authorization Form:

Please take note of the following:

  • The traveler should prepare the authorization form at least 4-6 weeks before departure, and before any reservations are made (if University funds will be used). The authorization form is required regardless of the source of funds for the trip.  If the authorization form is received in the Provost/President Office after the traveler has departed, travel will not be approved and expenses will not be reimbursed.
  • In all instances, the Department Chair or Manager/supervisor must sign and date the Advance Travel Authorization Form, after which the Dean or Director signs and dates. 
  • Please include the source of funding for the trip (SAP Cost Center or other). If no university funds are being used, please state briefly that “No university funding is being used for this trip.”
  • Additional signatures may be required by the Associate Vice President of Sponsored Research if funding is provided by a Federal granting agency or by the local Faculty Grants Development (FGD) Committee.
  • The signature of the Assistant Vice President for International Programs is required for all international travel.
  • After signatures are obtained from the department and funding unit(s), forms must be sent to the Provost/President’s Office.  
  • When all approvals have been obtained, the Provost Office will notify the relevant Dean/Director’s Office that the forms may be picked up.


The same process should be followed upon return and when filing for reimbursement using the travel expense form.

B. The Technology Control Plan Form  


PASSHE and WCU developed procedures that will ensure that each of the System schools is in compliance with Federal government regulations regarding Embargo and Export Controls (see PASSHE’s Export Control Website). The Center for International Programs, WCU's Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) and the Division of Information Services (IS) has developed a Technology Control Plan that will ensure your international travel compliance with Export Control Laws. WCU employees traveling overseas are required to review and sign the Technology Control Plan Form(s).  The traveler is the only person that signs this form and it is emailed directly to international@wcupa.edu.
As a general rule of thumb:

  1. If traveling on university business, AND carrying university technology/equipment, you are required to fill out both the “TMP” and “BAG” Forms
  2. If traveling on university business, but carrying personal equipment, you are required to only fill out the one form labeled “BAG”.

The federal rules require all travelers ensure that sensitive digital research data is appropriately protected.  If you believe you are traveling with sensitive digital research data or to an embargoed country, the IS Division will need at least a two week notice to review the software and data contained on the laptop (or any other technical device) being taken out of the country.  If you have any questions, please contact the University Designated Officer (UDO) for IS - Mr. JT Singh. He may be reached at: E-Mail: Jsingh@wcupa.edu or Voice: 610) 436-1045.