West Chester University: Vital Stats
- The fourth largest university in the Philadelphia region.
- One of the 14 universities that comprise Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education.
- A public, regional, comprehensive institution, founded in 1871 as an institute for teacher preparation. In addition to education, which is the most popular major today, music instruction has been part of the school’s curriculum since its founding.
- Approximately 14,492 degree seeking students: 2,258 graduate and 12,234 undergraduate. (Fall 2010)
- Organized into five Colleges: Arts and Sciences; Business and Public Affairs; Education; Health Sciences; and Visual and Performing Arts.
- Currently offers more than 80 undergraduate and 70 master’s degree programs taught by 563 full–time and 243 part–time faculty. (Fall 2010)
- Students are drawn primarily from Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland. In total, students come from 26 different states and 64 different countries.
- The undergraduate student body is 61% female, 39% male and 18% students of color. (Fall 2010)
- The University supports 24 men's and women's athletic teams.
- The “golden ram” is the University’s official mascot. A bronze statue of the ram, inspired by the big-horned sheep that graze in Wyoming’s snow-capped mountains, stands at the corner of West Rosedale Ave. and Church St. in front of the University’s Old Library building.
- The University’s business programs hold prestigious international accreditation from the Association to Advance Schools of Business.
- The College of Education programs also have the highest accreditation in the field.
- The Honors College is unique for its strong service component.
- Music has been taught at the University since its founding in 1871, and today is among only 65 schools worldwide, including Curtis and Juilliard, with “all–Steinway” designation.
- The Frederick Douglass Institute commemorates the intellectual heritage of Frederick Douglass, the former slave, distinguished orator, journalist, author, and statesman, who was a frequent visitor to the West Chester area, and who gave his last public lecture on West Chester’s campus on February 1, 1895. Among other activities, the Institute helps to advance multicultural studies across the curriculum.
- The University’s south campus includes a 100-acre preserved woodland, field and streamside habitat for natural sciences and environmental studies.
- The academic quad is listed on the National Historic Register. The buildings included in this historic district are Philips Memorial Building, Ruby Jones Hall, Recitation Hall and the Old Library.