Department of Mathematics
West Chester University
Office: UNA 118
- B.S. Millersville University of Pennsylvania
- M.S. Mathematics Education, Millersville University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. Mathematics Education, Pennsylvania State University
- Teacher Education
- Proportional Reasoning
- Mathematics Education
- Fall 2013 - present: Assistant Professor, West Chester University
- 2007-2013: Research Assistant for Mid-Atlantic Center for Mathematics Teaching and Learning, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- 1995-2007: Mentor Teacher for Penn State University Students, The Grier School, Tyrone, PA
- 2000-2002: Chairperson mathematics department, The Grier School, Tyrone, PA
- 1991-2007: Mathematics Teacher, The Grier School, Tyrone, PA
Johnson, Kim (2016). UNDERSTANDING AND TRANSFORMING PRE-SERVICE TEACHERS’ PROPORTIONAL REASONING. Liljedahl, P., Nicol, C., Oesterle, S., & Allan, D. (Eds.). Proceedings of the 38th Conference of the North American Chapter of the Psychology of Mathematics Education (Vol. 1). Tucson, AZ: PMENA.
Zbiek, R. M., Peters, S. A., Johnson, K. H., Cannon, T., Boone, T. M., & Foletta, G. M. (2014). Locally logical mathematics: An emerging teacher honoring both students and mathematics. Journal of Mathematical Behavior.(34) 58-75.
Erik Tillema, Tenille Cannon, Kim Johnson, Rose Mary Zbiek. (2015). Chapter 36: Area of Plane Figures. In M. K. Heid & P. S. Wilson, with G.W. Blume (Eds.), Mathematical understanding for secondary teaching: A framework and classroom-based situations. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Johnson, K (2016) Transforming Pre-service Teachers Proportional Reasoning. Presentation at the twentieth annual meeting of Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, Irvine, CA.
- Johnson, K., Zbiek, R.M., Bonafini, F., Kinol, D. & Cannon, T. (2013) Connecting teacher understanding of mathematics and classroom opportunities. Paper presented at the Research Pre-session of the American Educational Research Association/Special Interest Group on Research on Mathematics Education and Research Advisory Council at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics 90th Annual Meeting, Denver, CO
- Johnson, K (2012, October). Tasks that elicit proportional reasoning. Presentation at 61st Annual Meeting of the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Camp Hill, PA.
- Johnson, K. (2012, May). Understanding proportional reasoning of pre-service teachers. Presentation at the Annual Symposium of the Pennsylvania Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, Shippensburg, PA.
- Johnson, K. (2011, November). An area model for dividing fractions. Presentation at 60th Annual Meeting of the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics, State College, PA.