Dr. R. Lorraine Bernotsky
Professor & Director, MPA Program
Phone: (610) 436-2286
- Professor of Political Science, West Chester University, June 2006 to present
- Director, Master of Public Administration, West Chester University, 2007 to present
- Director, Center for Social and Economic Research, West Chester University, 1998 to present
- Associate Professor of Political Science, West Chester University, Spring 2001 to Spring 2006
- Assistant Professor of Political Science, West Chester University, Fall 1996 to Spring 2001
- Harrisburg Area Community College, Lancaster Campus, Instructor in Sociology, Summer 1992 to Summer 1996
- Temple University, Instructor in Sociology, Fall 1991 to 1993,
Doctor of Philosophy in Politics, 1996, University of Oxford. Dissertation title: Family Matters: Symbol and Substance in the Political Mobilization of Traditional Women
Master of Arts in Sociology, 1993, Temple University
- Areas of specialization: Research Methodology, Political Sociology, Social Movements, Sociological Theory, Sociology of the Family,
- Independent research specialization: political mobilization, social movements, and women in politics
Master of Philosophy in Politics, 1991, University of Oxford
- M. Phil. thesis: A Step into Politics: Concerned Women for America and the Mobilization of Traditional Women
- Areas of specialization: American Government, Political Sociology, Political Theory, Political Institutions
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Magna Cum Laude, Messiah College, 1989
Community and Other Service
Dr. Bernotsky has worked with a number of community organizations in her capacity as the Director of the Center for Social and Economic Research (CSER). She has provided research and need assessment studies for the following organizations and groups: Greater Harrisburg Health Start, Chester County Futures Program, Chester County Fund for Women and Girls, Math/Science Partnership of Greater Philadelphia, Berks County Community Health Department and the Chester County Department of Public Health, Chester County United Way, among others.
Publications, Technical Reports, and Commissioned Research
- Bernotsky, R. Lorraine and Osgood, Jeffery. Chester County Fund for Women and Girls: Blueprint Report 2010: A Report on the Status of Women and Girls in Chester County. (2010). Available at http://www.ccwomenandgirls.org/DefaultPage.aspx?pgid=84&m=2
- Merlino, J.F., Bernotsky, R. L., Feldman, J.M., and Rui, N. (2009). The financial and non-financial factors associated with 11th grade student academic proficiency in mathematics and reading. (Available from http://www.mspgp.org/library/0_25536500%201245358115_725688498.pdf).
- Bernotsky, R. Lorraine, and Couto, G. (2008). Making Poverty History in Chester County. Available at http://dsf.chesco.org/poverty/site/default.asp
- Thomas O. Armstrong, R. Lorraine Bernotsky, Lou Bohl-Fabian, Peter H. Loedel, and Khalil Yazdi, "An Economic Development Inventory for the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education," in the Pennsylvania Economic Association Proceedings, May 2006.
Long dedicated to community service, Representative Milne has volunteered for 25 years with campaigns and elections at the local, state, and national levels. Further, he was appointed to serve on the Chester County Voting Reform Commission as well as the Meet Your Chester County Judges Task Force. Prior to the legislature, Duane was an elected county committeeman for 18 years and an elected state committeeman for 10 years. He functions as a captain in the Pennsylvania Military Reserve, a civilian disaster management organization. Duane is a member of the President's Council at Immaculata University and a lay reader at his church.
Classes Regularly Taught (MPA Program)
- PPA 501 Research Methods in Public Administration