Veterans Center

West Chester University

624 S. High St.
West Chester PA 19383


Benefits for the Guard

Applying for Educational Assistance Program through the Pennsylvania National Guard

The Pennsylvania Army National Guard provides current soldiers the opportunity to attend any of the 14 state funded institutions of higher learning tuition free as part as their Educational Assistance Program (EAP). In order to receive these benefits, you must be any active drilling member of a PAARNG National Guard or Air National Guard. The process is listed below. If at any time you have questions regarding your personal application, contact your Unit’s full time Readiness NCO.

  1. Unit’s will begin receiving applications the April prior to the following year’s fall term, and will hand them out at IDT. If you are not present at this drill, see your Chain of Command immediately to get these forms.
  2. The form will be completed by the soldier and returned to either the Batallion Career Counselor or Unit Readiness NCO depending on the guidance you receive from your command.
  3. The unit will mail the applications to the Education Office at FTIG (Fort Indiantown Gap) where they will be processed.
  4. Soldier will receive a memo in the mail once the application is processed.
  5. Once application is processed and approved, the funds will be sent directly to the University for disbursement into your account.
  6. The deadline for the applications is 30Jun for the fall semester. If you turn the applications past the deadline, funds will be delayed and possibly forfeited depending on availability of funding.

Fderal Tuition Assistance (FTA) Program



The FTA Program authorizes Tuition Assistance not to exceed 100% with a cap of $250.00 per semester hour and $4500 for the Fiscal Year.

*You may use Federal TA along with the Reserve GI Bill provided you are enrolled at least half time (6 semester hours). You may use FTA along with the Active Duty GI Bill provided you are enrolled at least half time and do not have the ARNG GI Bill Kicker.



  • Are you a member in good standing in the Army National Guard?
  • Are you actively drilling with your unit?
  • Are you attending a course of instruction that is included in a vocational program, associate, baccalaureate, graduate or professional degree program offered by an accredited college, university, community college, technical college or trade school?



A separate application must be submitted for each semester/term.



  • Once approved the DA Form 2171 is returned to you via AKO e-mail for you to take to the business/financial aid office of the school you are attending.
  • The school is then responsible for billing the Education Services Offices in Lansing
  • The school is paid by USPFO. Lansing or the Education Office.
  • If your tuition is paid through loans, grants ETC., by the time the school receives payment the school can reimburse you or apply the funds to a future semester.




  • You must provide a copy of your grades to the Education office within 30 days of completion of courses. Future requests for FTA will be denied until you have provided grades for previous semesters/terms.
  • You must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in order to continue receiving FTA.
  • Failing grades may result in recoupment of FTA funds.