West Chester University: Vital Stats
- The fourth largest university in the Philadelphia region.
- One of the 14 universities that comprise Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education.
- A public, regional, comprehensive institution, founded in 1871 as an institute for teacher preparation. In addition to education, which is the most popular major today, music instruction has been part of the school’s curriculum since its founding.
- 15,100 total enrollment with 14,267 degree seeking students: 1,746 graduate and 12,521 undergraduate. (Fall 2011)
- Organized into five Colleges: Arts and Sciences; Business and Public Affairs; Education; Health Sciences; and Visual and Performing Arts.
- Currently offers more than 100 undergraduate majors and concentrations and 70 master's degree programs taught by 571 fulltime and 269 part–time faculty. (Fall 2011)
- Students are drawn primarily from Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland. In total, students come from 36 different states and 64 different countries.
- The undergraduate student body is 59% female, 41% male and 16.5% students of color. (Fall 2011, including multiracial)
- The University supports 24 men's and women's athletic teams.
- The “golden ram” is the University’s official mascot. A bronze statue of the ram, inspired by the big-horned sheep that graze in Wyoming’s snow-capped mountains, stands at the corner of West Rosedale Ave. and Church St. in front of the University’s Old Library building.
- The University’s business programs hold prestigious international accreditation from the Association to Advance Schools of Business.
- The College of Education programs also have the highest accreditation in the field.
- The Honors College is unique for its strong service component.
- Music has been taught at the University since its founding in 1871, and today is among only 65 schools worldwide, including Curtis and Juilliard, with “all–Steinway” designation.
- The Frederick Douglass Institute commemorates the intellectual heritage of Frederick Douglass, the former slave, distinguished orator, journalist, author, and statesman, who was a frequent visitor to the West Chester area, and who gave his last public lecture on West Chester’s campus on February 1, 1895. Among other activities, the Institute helps to advance multicultural studies across the curriculum.
- The University’s south campus includes a 100-acre preserved woodland, field and streamside habitat for natural sciences and environmental studies.
- The academic quad is listed on the National Historic Register. The buildings included in this historic district are Philips Memorial Building, Ruby Jones Hall, Recitation Hall and the Old Library.