Many students benefit from an internship experience during their junior or senior year. Often these are available during the summer. Formal internships are for academic credit, and involve a faculty supervisor as well as an employer supervisor. The student receives professional experience, and in many cases may receive a wage or expense money. To enroll in an internship, the student submits an Internship Agreement Form (available from the Geography and Planning department office in Ruby Jones 103).
Current Internship Opportunities:
Check back regularly; new internship opportunities are posted when they are made known to us!
Applications are now being accepted for both the Summer and Fall 2016 internship semesters. Please visit the National Geographic careers website to apply. Interns may be assigned to work in one of the many divisions within the National Geographic Society; individual projects and assignments will vary. Most include some degree of research, writing, working in teams, self-direction, and being able to manage many tasks at once. Please find more information about application requirements below. All materials must be received by midnight TONIGHT April 8, 2016Posted 4/8/16.
- The Pennsylvania State Summer Internship Program offers a number of summer internship programs. You can access the full program guide on the department website PA STATE INTERSHIPS MANUAL. Posted 3/15/16.
Pennsylvania Resources Council is searching for an intern to be an assistant to the PRC Newtown Square Farmers' Market manager as well as involvement in other environmental understanding. The intern must be available every Wednesday from May 25, 2016 to the beginning of the fall semester. This is a paid internship at $10.00/hour. Please contact Carol Butler at #610-353-1555 ext. 230 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Visit PRC's website at www.prc.org. Posted 2/11/16.
A fellow graduate student in our program, Aaron Brouse, asked that we circulate this internship opportunity amongst you. Geosyntec Consultants (environmental firm) in Blue Bell, PA is currently looking for a GIS Intern to work alongside Aaron. This is a paid and part-time position. Please see attached flyer for more details. Interested applicants should visit www.geosyntec.com/employment and navigate to posting number 40218. Also, see the attached flyer for more information. Posted 2/9/16.
Delaware Valley Regional Planning Committee is looking for a student to intern 1-2 days per week for a Long-Range Planning position focused on sustainability. This would be a paid opportunity to assist with research and writing of publicly accessible policy reports and plans for the Greater Philadelphia metropolitan region. Applicants must have completed at least 3 years of a college/university program or (preferably) be enrolled in a master’s program in planning or related field, or an equivalent combination of experience and training. To apply forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Posted 2/9/16.
DelDOT is hiring for a Civil Engineer Summer Internship. Applicants must be at least 18 years old, have completed their freshman year seeking their B.S. in civil engineering, and have maintained at least a 2.0 overall GPA on a 4.0 scale. Students can complete their application on the State of Delaware jobs website at www.delawarestatejobs.com. In addition they need to provide a copy of their resume and transcript by attaching them to their online application. They may also fax, mail, or e-mail them to DelDOT Employment Services, 800 South Bay Road, P.O. Box 778, Dover, DE 19903-0778, Phone (302)760-4800, Fax (302)760-2771, email Deldot_emp_services@state.de.us. Applications, resumes, and transcripts must be sumitted by March 18, 2016. Posted 2/9/16.
GoEco invites students and faculty to participate in their geography and environmental internships and volunteer projects abroad in Spain, Costa Rica, and Austrailia. For more information go to www.goeco.org (646)240-4545. Posted 2/9/16.
- McMahon Transportation Engineers & Planners of Exton has an internship available. The Intern will have the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of transportation planning and engineering projects, including projects that involve bicycle, pedestrian, transit, and roadway facilities. While working under the direction of project managers and project engineers, the Intern will help to compile and organize data, develop maps and graphics to depict transportation issues and solutions, compose text for planning reports, and conduct field work and investigations. The Intern will learn and be exposed to transportation planning and traffic engineering principles and practices. If you are interested in applying for this internship, please email Dr. Ives Dewey, Chair, Geography & Planning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Posted 1/27/16.
The Berks County Planning Commission is currently seeking two work study positions for the summer of 2016. The work study program will be a twelve-week program and may be longer pending the office’s workload and the willingness of the student. The program is a paid position ($9.225/hour) and is conditional on the Berks County hiring procedures. This work study program is designed for a planning/GIS related student. Any interested students may contact David Berryman, Transportation Planner II, at (610) 478-6300 ext. 6307 or at email@example.com. Posted 1/27/16.
The Philadelphia Center offers undergraduate students the opportunity to thrive through experiential education (8-week summer program, 16-week semester program). If you would like to learn more visit www.tpc.edu. Posted 12/21/15.
Lynn Resler, an Associate Professor in the Department of Geography at Virginia Tech, is seeking a student with interests in biogeography to begin the Geography M.S. program in Fall 2016. The student’s thesis research could vary, but would likely relate to some aspect of vegetation dynamics of the Appalachian Mountains or the Rocky Mountains, or ecotone dynamics, in general. Students with an interest in, and prior experience with field research and geospatial analysis preferred. The qualified candidate will receive an academic-year Teaching Assistantship, with renewal in year two based on satisfactory progress. For more information on Virginia Tech’s Geography M.S. program see http://geography.vt.edu/PROGRAMS/graduate.htm and links therein. Contact Lynn Resler (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information about this competitive, funded opportunity. Posted 12/21/15.
Past Intership Opportunities:
As you can see, there are plenty of intership opportunities in Geography & Planning!
- Econsult Solutions, Inc. is looking for paid, part-time research assistants. The interns would "Conduct statistical analyses of economic and demographic data, including econometric modeling; Preparation and analysis of large volumes of data in conjunction with ESI staff; Spatial analyses of data, including maps and visuals as needed." Posted 9/03/15.
- Paid summer jobs with PENNENVIRONMENT, working on a campaign to "close loopholes in the Clean Water Act." Posted 6/15/15.
- Cape May County's Planning Department is looking for a GIS/GPS Intern.This is a paid position (about $11/hr) and not to exceed 35 hours a week. A WCU alumni told us about this position! Posted 5/29/2015.
- Crow's Nest Preserve in Elverson, PA is looking for a year-long intern, beginning in September 2015 and ending August 2016, for 37.5 hours a week. Housing is included. See the job description and advertisement. Posted 5/18/15.
- McMahon Transportation Engineers & Planners is hiring a GIS intern. Posted 5/13/15.
- Cedarville Engineering Group in Pottstown is looking for a GIS intern. Posted 5/07/15.
- For Delaware County Residents only: The Delaware County Planning Department is looking for three paid summer interns. There are two positions in planning and one in transportation. Posted 04/22/2015.
- The Delaware Valley Green Building Council is looking for a Marketing and Communications Intern. Posted 4/09/15.
- The Stroud Water Research Center is hiring paid summer interns to work on a National Fish and Wildlife Foundation funded watershed restoration project in the upper Brandywine Creek watershed. Experience with GPS, GIS, topographic surveying, fish or aquatic invertebrate identification, or data analysis are desirable. Posted 4/06/2015.
- Crow's Nest Preserve in Elverson, PA has a summer internship in environmental education. They add "low cost rental accommodations are available which will work even for students who do not have a car." Posted 4/06/2015.
- The Brandywine Conservancy has two internships available for this summer with the Land Stewardship Department and the Municipal Assistance/GIS Program. They can both be found on the Brandywine Conservancy website and the PALTA website.Posted 3/26/2015
- The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANta) is also looking for a summer intern. Posted 3/26/2015
- Camp Linden, a summer program to introduce inner-city children to the wonders of nature, is seeking counselors with background and interest in gardening and the natural world. The camp is located in a rural setting along the Brandywine in West Bradford, about 8 miles from West Chester. Posted 3/17/2015
- Valley Forge National Historical Park is offering three unpaid summer internships. Posted 2/18/2015
- Critical Zone Research Experience for Undergraduates. Posted 2/18/2015
- The Berks County Planning Commission is currently seeking two work study positions for the summer of 2015.
- Pennsylvania Resources Council in Newtown Square is offering an unpaid summer internship working with the Newtown Square Farmers's Market and other environmental projects and programs. Posted 1/26/2015.
- Isla Mujeres Ethnographic Fieldschool: Anthropology Methods Immersion on the Island of Isla Mujeres, Mexico, is offering summer research opportunities. Posted 1/26/2015.
- Yearlong paid positions are available with Green Corps: "In Green Corps’ yearlong paid program, you’ll get intensive training in the skills you need to make a difference in the world. You’ll get hands-on experience fighting to solve urgent environmental problems — global warming, deforestation, water pollution, factory farming and many others — with groups like Sierra Club and Food & Water Watch. And when you graduate from Green Corps, we’ll help you find a career with one of the nation’s leading environmental and social change groups." Posted 1/16/2015.
- Summer position available for an Urban Forestry Intern with Philadelphia Parks & Recreation. Posted 1/13/2015.
- The Borough of Lansdale is offering a paid internship in the maintenance and development of a municipal Geographic Information System. Posted 1/2/2015.
- TDS Telecom, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, is offering three paid internship positions. Posted 1/2/2105.
In recent years WCU students have held academic internships with these employers:
- Berks County Planning Commission
- Borough of Downingtown
- Borough of Lansdale
- Borough of Norristown
- Borough of West Chester
- Brandywine Conservancy, Inc.
- Brandywine Valley Association
- Bucks County Planning Commission
- Cahill Associates
- Caln Township
- Cape May County Planning Department
- Cedarville Engineering Group
- Chester County Conservation District- the U.S. Bureau of the Census
- Chester County DCIS-GIS
- Chester County Economic Development Council
- Chester County Health Department
- Chester County Historical Society
- Chester County Parks and Recreation
- Chester County Planning Commission
- City of Allentown, PA
- City of Altoona, PA
- City of Philadelphia, GIS Services
- City of Philadelphia, Licenses and Inspections
- City of Rockford, Illinois
- County Commissioners Association of PA
- Delaware County Planning Department
- Delaware Nature Society
- Delaware Valley Green Building Council
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
- Department of Housing & Urban Development
- East Goshen Township
- East Whiteland Township
- Geography and Planning Department, WCU
- HAC Group
- Laboratory of Avian Medicine and Pathology
- Lancaster County Planning Commission
- Lehigh Valley Planning Commission
- Middletown Township, NJ Planning Department
- Montgomery County Planning Commission
- National Park Service
- Natural Lands Trust
- NAVTEQ, Conshohocken, PA
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation's Bureau of Planning and Research
- Randolph Township
- Re/Max Centre Realtors
- Roy F. Weston Company, Inc.
- UGI Utilities
- University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- U.S. Census Bureau
- U.S. Forest Service Northeastern Research Station
- Upper Makefield Township
- West Bradford Township
- West Chester Regional Planning Commission
- West Whiteland Township