A graduate assistantship is an opportunity to work on campus in a research or service-oriented
capacity in order to gain valuable work experience in higher education or an academic
field and earn a tuition waiver and stipend.
Graduate students matriculated in degree-seeking programs are eligible. They must maintain a GPA of 3.0 in their graduate programs
1. Answer “Yes” to the question on the graduate admission application about being interested in a graduate assistantship. This will place your name on a list of students from which academic departments will hire their graduate assistants. Due to the nature of the work, most academic departments hire students from their programs to be graduate assistants. Please note that academic departments may require the completion of additional steps to apply. Please contact the graduate coordinator of your program for more information.
2. Check the Career Development Center's website for available graduate assistantships on campus. Positions posted in this location are typically for service-oriented offices on campus. Positions are generally posted beginning in April for the following fall semester and in November for the following spring semester. Positions are posted as they become available, so it is a good idea to check the CDC's website regularly for updates.
|Tuition Credits Waived (per semester)||Hours Required (per week)||Stipend Amount (per semester)|
Yes. International students must contact the Center for International Programs for instructions before beginning the hiring process.
There are several steps to complete the hiring process
No, graduate assistants are not required to submit timesheets either to the Office of Human Resources or to the Office of Graduate Studies. However, it is strongly recommended that graduate assistants maintain a written, signed log of all hours worked with their supervisors in case any discrepancies arise.
Graduate assistants are paid their stipends divided into eight (8) installments in accordance with the WCU’s pay schedule.
(along with corresponding work weeks)
· February 16 - for pay period ending on February 2
· March 2 - for pay period ending on February 16
· March 16 - for pay period ending on March 2
· March 30 - for pay period ending on March 16
· April 13 - for pay period ending on March 30
· April 27 - for pay period ending on April 13
· May 11 - for pay period ending on April 27
· May 25 - for pay period ending on May 11
If you need to withdraw from a class that would take you below the credits required by your contract, please contact email@example.com from your WCU e-mail account before submitting a course withdrawal form. If you need to withdraw from the University, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting a term withdrawal form. Please note that withdrawing could result in a financial penalty up to and including the full tuition cost of the tuition waiver.
To hire a graduate assistant, please submit the Request to Hire form through SharePoint.
General information for GA supervisors (Accessible in SharePoint)